Friday, April 13, 2007

Day of the damned

Sometimes it's just not fair, is it? Allow me to explain:

First off, the law firm is having staff appreciation day today!! Woohoo! Oh, wait, I don't work for the law firm. So while everyone else is at the spa getting massages and pedicures, I'm behind a computer.

Oh, and it's not like just because everyone else is gone I get to slack. No. I've gotta have all my time logged from January 1 through today. By the end of the day. Granted, I should've been doing this all along, and I *was* doing this for awhile, but since no one ASKED for my time in the last 3 months, I sorta gave up on it because there are usually more pressing things to do here. So I'm going through all my techsupport emails, trying to figure out what the FUCK I'm doing with my time (and life in general), despite the fact that 90 percent of tech support requests are when people just barge into my office and demand I fix something immediately. Yeah, I have no logs of that contact, despite the fact that it's most of my work.

All this while my "co-worker" shows up late, surfs the web for 2 hours (yes, I can see his monitor from my desk so I know), then goes to have lunch with a client at some nice restaurant. And bills at a RIDICULOUS rate for it. And I'm sure my boss will leave early, and someone named Anton will need to man the phones until 5:00, despite the fact that our database is so bulletproof that almost no one ever has any issues with it. Maybe it's time to start looking for a new job. Not to say that I don't like it here, or that I haven't learned plenty. But seriously, working for a small company means ZERO benefits, and almost the same wages that I was making while I was working at the U. I need something more information-oriented. I really like information and putting pieces together. And hey, I think I'm good at it, too.

I think I'm going to start writing about stuff. Like, real writing, not blog writing. Use the internet to find some more good minds, see where that leads...that sort of thing. I'm flexible.

Well, at least I might go to happy hour at Brit's, since it's a co-worker's last day here. Though I'm not really sure if that'll happen - how nice is it to have your last day on staff appreciation day, anyway?

Anyway, this whole blog post is completely over-dramatic, but also completely true.

No comments: