Friday, October 08, 2004

media coverage of Sudan, segues into political rant

The American Prospect has an article online that tals about the lack of media coverage in Sudan, and the resulting lack of action by the U.S. government. So what's the answer? Is the military stretched too thin to go there? No domestic support? Why isn't this story being covered at all?

I guess what really sets me off about this whole thing is what happened in Rwanda. Just this past summer, PBS aired a documentary on the 10-year anniversary of the genocide that went on there in 1994. The more I thought about it, the more I thought, "This is the largest blemish on Clinton's record. He didn't do ANYTHING about this, and he could have."

But now...could we even say that the slaughter of 100,000+ in Sudan would be the largest blemish on Bush's record? The amount of hypocrisy, especially when considering the single issue pro-lifers over in this country, is astonishing. We have these grandiose philosophical debates regarding when and if the government has the authority to interfere with your body, yet we're afraid to intervene when hundreds of thousands are dying. Isn't that the moral responsibility that comes with the military might we wield wherever we damn-well please?

I guess I can understand the presidential candidates' positions, though. Neither of them will touch the subject because they both have enough on their plate. There are only so many issues that will resonate with voters, and the economy and Iraq appear to be the extent of it. I'm actually a little surprised that the Dems were able to set the tone with those two - I figured we'd be talking about Kerry's voting record from 1988 or his wife's hairstyle of something.

Actually, the one issue that I haven't heard about (I'm assuming it's for good reason), is how much money John Edwards made off of his cases. Don't get me wrong, I love John Edwards, and all, but I thought Cheney was going to push that issue into his tort-reform platform during the debates the other night...I suppose it may have come across as a personal attack.

I'm really in a mood where I could type for hours right now, but I've got actual work to do...

No comments: