Tuesday, June 07, 2005

My triumphant return

Okay, I realize that I haven't written anything in a long time, and I thought I'd let you all know that I haven't been eaten by a ravenous pack of donkeys, and I haven't accidentally locked myself in the closet. I've just been, uhhhh....lazy? Yep, that's it.

So the first thing I read in my inbox this morning completely brightened my day. You know what it's like when you feel all alone in this great big world, and you think you're the only person on Earth that feels a certain way? Well, it turns out that someone else shares my hatred of Coldplay! When I first heard this band, I thought, "Gee, it's as if they sucked all the edge out of Radiohead and replaced it with...uhhh...nothing. This will sell millions!" And I was right. In addition to being, "the most insufferable band of the decade", Jon Pareles writes:
A band shouldn't necessarily be blamed for its imitators - ask the Cure or the Grateful Dead. But Coldplay follow-throughs are redundant; from the beginning, Coldplay has verged on self-parody. When he moans his verses, Mr. Martin can sound so sorry for himself that there's hardly room to sympathize for him, and when he's not mixing metaphors, he fearlessly slings clichés. "Are you lost or incomplete," Mr. Martin sings in "Talk," which won't be cited in any rhyming dictionaries. "Do you feel like a puzzle / you can't find your missing piece."
If you read the article, you can tell he probably toned down his true hatred of the band, but it's a good read nonetheless.

And while I haven't read this entire thing yet, it looks like it's right up my alley, so therefore you should feign interest if you wish to remain my friend. It's about the politics of open source adoption. It also has a wiki, which is constantly being updated - it comes at a perfect time, as I just finished my book (Naked by David Sedaris - a good read, but I still don't understand why everyone is so high on him) and need something to read on the bus today.

Anyway, that's all for the mo, but I'll try to post something good later today, promise!

EDIT: I found a couple of things that I was reading the other day, you might enjoy them - one is an entertaining rant about the next generation of video game systems, the other is an instructional text/pictures on how to bind your own books.

No comments: