Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Excuses, excuses...

Okay, okay...I HAVE been a tad lazy when it comes to updating, but I have a great excuse, I promise...

After 4 unsuccessful attempts, I have FINALLY installed linux on my computer...I tried SuSE at first, but the boot loader (GRUB) kept hanging at startup. So after downloading some .iso files for other installers, I finally (I mean, temporarily) settled on Fedora Core. I've also got Knoppix, which is really cool because the entire package can be run off of the CD, without any hard drive partitioning or installation. I'd recommend testing the waters with Knoppix before deciding if linux is right for you (of course it is!). You can get info and .iso files from this link. I'll probably be changing from Fedora Core to some other distro soon, but it works really well for now.

I'm still trying to find a driver for my soundcard, which Fedora is unable to detect for some reason. I have reason to believe it's a TBS Montego A3D card, but I'm not totally sure. I found some good info on ALSA, but I'm still gun-shy when it comes to installing stuff on linux. Soon, I WILL have sound!

So most of my time has been spent reading boring crap about linux and not the political stuff that I find intriguing. Fortunately, slashdot found a great interview with Howard Rheingold, which discusses the possibilities of a new economic system (among other things), perhaps one that builds more upon theories of unconscious cooperation, which I'd really like to know more about...more research to come. The article also gives mad props to wikipedia, and rightfully so. It is by far the most comprehensive encyclopedia out there. Britannica, you're screwed.

No comments: